When I think about the most beautiful, Instagram-worthy bullet journals, it’s those amazing bullet journal fonts and hand lettering that really catch my eye.
My own bullet journal style is very simply and minimalist – party because I’m so uncreative. I’ve failed miserably every time I’ve tried to do beautiful hand lettering!
But there’s no denying it – a beautiful bullet journal font can really work magic on your bujo spreads.
Since I can’t do lettering myself, I’ve compiled a round-up of tutorials by some seriously talented lettering YouTubers to demonstrate a few of my favorite styles of font.
They make it look so easy… sigh!
But seriously, practice makes perfect and I bet we can all create such gorgeous lettering if we give it a chance 🙂
Don’t forget, good quality pens make all the difference so check out my list of best bullet journal supplies if you haven’t already. I’ve also included a list of the pens recommended in the tutorials at the bottom of this post.
Disclosure: some of the links below are affiliate links. That means if you make a purchase through my links, I may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting my site!
Right – let’s get learning!
Let’s start off with some classic hand lettering in the calligraphy style.
If you can master this kind of lettering, it will be useful for so many things! Aside from your bullet journal headers, it would look amazing on wedding invites, special greetings cards, even hand lettered wall art for your room 🙂
It’s all in the pen
This video shows us how easy it can be to create beautiful bullet journal headers so long as we have the right pens.
It think even I could handle these fonts. Well, some of them! So simple, but so effective! I love the possibility to use your colored pens to color-coordinate with the rest of your month as well.
Don’t forget to scroll to the bottom of this post to see all the pens featured!
I love this tutorial because it shows how you can get some pretty effective results just by adding some simple text effects to your basic lettering.
You don’t need amazing calligraphy to start off with, but adding some shadow or outline effects to your lettering can really make your headers pop.
Quick and modern bullet journal fonts
This is another video that shows how to create cool fonts even if you can’t master the classic calligraphy/cursive style. All these fonts are relatively quick and easy to do, even for non-creative folk like me!
I really like this slick and modern style. It’s less girly than some of the very feminine bullet journal spreads we see a lot on Instagram, so if that’s not your style, you might want to check these out.
I also love the last part of the video where she shows us how to draw ribbons. I’ve always struggled with that!
Cute and cartoony hand lettering
Here is something a bit different. These cute food themed font ideas for your bullet journal are so adorable! I love the melon one! I would match these to the season – they would be perfect for a monthly cover page.
I included this tutorial to remind you to have fun with your bullet journal. It doesn’t always have to be perfect pastels and swirly cursive. Feel free to get inventive and even come up with your own fonts!
Best bullet journal pens for hand lettering
As you can see from the tutorials above, the right pen can really make or break your hand lettering! Here are all the best pens for hand lettering as recommended in the videos above:
Tombow 56185 Dual Brush Pen Art Markers, Bright, 10-Pack. Blendable, Brush and Fine Tip Markers
$16.59 in stock
8 used from $11.73
- Ideal for fine art, brush lettering, faux calligraphy, illustrations, water color illustrations, journaling and more!
- Set of 9 colors and 1 blender pen, with flexible brush tip and fine tip in one marker
- BRUSH TIP: Durable and flexible nylon fiber brush tip, creates medium or bold strokes by changing brush pressure
- FINE TIP: gives consistent lines
- Included colorless blender pen softens and blends colors, creating a watercolor effect
Tombow Fudenosuke Brush Pen - Hard Type & Soft Type Earh 3 Pens Total 6 Pens Arts Value set.
- Tombow Fudenosuke Brush Pen
Pentel Japan Aquash Waterbrush Water Brush Pen, Medium
- Pentel FRH-M Aquash Water Brush (Fine Point Medium)
Crayola Washable Super Tip Markers (10 Count)
$4.55 in stock
1 used from $2.38
- Crayola's washable ink is specially formulated to easily wash from skin and most children's clothing
- Fine line markers terrific for drawing and coloring
- Great for coloring, drawing and art projects!
Faber-Castell Pitt Artist Pens black superfine 199
- Line width: Superfine
- Waterproof and very light-fast drawing ink
- Extremely fade resistant
- Black ink
Sakura 50201 6-Piece Pigma Manga Comic Pro Drawing Kit
$9.93 in stock
- Pigma manga comic pro drawing kit
- Archival quality ink for use in acid-free environments
- Chemically stable, waterproof, and fade resistant
- No smears, feathers, or bleed-through on most papers
- Set consists of 1 each pigma micron 005, 03, 08, 1 each graphic 1mm, 1 each brush all black, 1 each 0.7mm fixed sleeve mechanical pencil